- Enables students to register their iClicker remotes directly within D2L
- Allows you to easily download your class roster and student registrations from D2L
- Allows you to easily upload your iClicker scores into D2L's gradebook
The iClicker integration with D2L requires some setup and authentication work from your LMS administrator prior to your use of the integration within iClicker Classic. Please consult your LMS administrator for a pre-packaged iClicker software folder which contains the necessary integration files. Alternatively, your administrator may provide a single file for you to place inside your iClicker folder.
Follow the steps below to complete the integration process:
- Video: iClicker Integrate with D2L/Brightspace
- Step 1: Configure Your iClicker Software
- Step 2: Enable Student Registration in Desire2Learn
- Step 3: Synchronize Your Roster
- Step 4: Upload iClicker Polling Data
- Step 5: Review iClicker Scores in Desire2Learn
If you'd prefer to watch a video instead, we have you covered!
When you copy the integration file into your iClicker Classic Resources folder, the software will recognize you are using D2L as your LMS. You must match each D2L course to each iClicker course (for the courses in which you plan to use the integration).
Open course settings
Select your course name from the course list and click Settings. For directions on creating your course, see Create a Course.
Click the Gradebook tab near the top of the new window.
In the Learning management system (LMS) section, Desire2Learn should be preselected.
Click "Select Course" and log in using D2L credentials
Click the Select Course button in the Learning management system (LMS) section.
The instructions for Log in to your Learning Management System are displayed.
Click Login. Your default browser will open to your school’s D2L homepage. Enter your username and password and click login on your D2L homepage.
Note: If your administrator has allowed your school’s instructors to save login credentials, you will see the “Save my credentials and automatically log me in to my LMS” checkbox option. This box is checked by default. If you do not wish to save your credentials, uncheck this box before clicking Log In.
Select D2L course to add to Gradebook
Your list of D2L courses should be shown. Select the course that matches the course you created in iClicker and click Select. If you are teaching a multi-section course, please be sure to choose the specific section that matches your iClicker course and roster. You may also choose the parent course, in which case the rosters of all sections will be included.
Note: You can choose to Log Out from this window. You will need to log back in again later if you wish to download your D2L roster or upload iClicker grades to D2L.
The selected D2L course appears next to LMS Course. Click Save to close the Course Settings window.
To receive credit for their iClicker responses, students must register their iClicker remotes (i.e., tie their clicker ID to their student ID). Note: Your campus administrator may have enabled student registration for you.
Add a module to your D2L course
Log in to Desire2Learn using your instructor username and password.
On the Desire2Learn home page, select the course to which you want to enable iClicker registration.
From the Content page, click the Add a Module… field from the content navigation. Type the name of the module you wish to create, such as “Register iClicker”.
Add external learning tool
The option to Add Existing Activities now appears. Click the Add Existing Activities button and select External Learning Tools.
The Add Activity window appears. Choose the External Learning Tool created by your admin. For example, “Register your iClicker Remote”.
The link is now included in your course content and will be visible to students.
Return to top.
Open iClicker Classic and click on Open Gradebook.
Sync roster in iClicker Gradebook
Click the Sync Roster icon.
Your D2L roster will be downloaded, and you will receive a message that your roster downloaded successfully.
- If your D2L credentials were not saved during course setup in iClicker, you will need to enter your credentials.
- It is recommended that you Sync Roster after drop/add periods are over in order to keep your roster up-to-date.
- D2L codes the roster in such a way that iClicker is forced to include you and any TAs associated with your D2L course when you click Sync Roster. Therefore, you will want to remove any non-students from the roster before uploading grades from iClicker.
- Prepare a list of non-students (including student IDs) that you need to remove.
- Open the gradesexport file in your class folder (Classes > [your course]). Delete any rows associated with non-students and save the file.
- In your SessionData folder, locate and open the RemoteID file. Delete any rows associated with non-students and save the file.
- After this point, if you click "Sync Roster" again, or you will need to repeat these steps to remove non-students from the roster.
Launch iClicker, select your course and click Open Gradebook.
Sync scores in iClicker Gradebook
From the Gradebook main window, select Sync Scores.
The Upload Scores to LMS window appears, allowing you to select sessions. Select the session(s) you wish to upload and click Next.
Select sessions to upload
The Upload Scores to LMS "customize data" window appears. From this window you can choose to:
Customize your uploaded data
- Upload each session as a separate entry
- Aggregate sessions together as a single entry
- Upload total points
- Upload performance points only
- Upload participation points only
- Upload both performance points and participation points as separate entries
Make your selections and click Upload.
Your data will be uploaded to D2L and you will receive a confirmation message.
Note: The scores will be uploaded into your LMS Gradebook as numeric quiz grades in the iClicker polling data scores category. You will be able to edit individual student iClicker scores within D2L after you’ve uploaded the data.
Return to top.
- Log in to Desire2Learn and select the course for which you wish to view your updated gradebook.
- Once on your course home page, click the Grades toolbar link in the Desire2Learn header area.
- The Grades page will open. Click Switch to Spreadsheet View to view and edit iClicker scores. The session scores will appear as numeric scores and may be edited like any other scores within Desire2Learn.