Meet the Macmillan Interns

Document created by Sarah Fornshell on Jul 14, 2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Summer internship season is in full swing, so we thought we’d give you a chance to meet some of the interns working with Macmillan Learning this summer! Interns come from all across the country and work across a variety of disciplines, and are giving you a glimpse into their personal and professional lives this summer.  For the first part of this series, we invite you to meet the New York interns!

Name: Laura Agosto

Department: Math and Stats Intern

College: Baruch College, rising junior

Day in the Life: It's both highly independent and highly collaborative...this is the kind of work environment that allows you to be flexible with your time and the things you work on, but also when it's time to sit down and discuss as a team you had better have something to talk about.

After Hours: If I'm not at the gym I'm usually just hanging out with a couple of friends, watching movies, walking around the boroughs a lot and trying new foods. Just recently I went to an improv show on Essex street and it was amazing, so I want to try doing more things like that in the future.

Favorite Place in NYC: Brooklyn Bridge Park/Waterfront

Name: Annabelle Chan

Department: Digital Marketing

College: Baruch College, rising senior

Day in the Life: For this internship, it's been a lot of meetings...Oh, and trying not to blow up the copy machine/microwave/printer.

After Hours: [I] Read, make jewelry, and play video games

Favorite Place in NYC: The Argosy Bookstore. It's NYC's oldest independent bookstore (1925!) and it takes up an entire six-story townhouse in Midtown. I think it's one of the last places in NYC to have a manually-operated elevator.

Name: Sarah Fornshell

Department: Marketing and Communications Intern

College: Columbia University, rising junior

Day in the Life: On a typical day, I help with data mining and compilation for the sales team, draft social media posts, and compile, analyze, and report current engagement trends across Macmillan’s platforms. It’s very exciting to see how our work here has a direct impact in classrooms across the country, and to be able to have a front row seat to the way that education and the job market are changing and adapting to the world of technology we live in. Aside from that, I bother the other interns about filling out profiles for this series!

After Hours: If I’m not out getting dinner with friends or hanging out at their apartments (I live in a dorm, so I feel compelled to mooch off of their real-world living experience!), then I can most easily be found curled in the back corner of my favorite coffee shop writing stories that I will ideally one day show to people.

Favorite Place in NYC: Brooklyn Bridge!

Name: Mila Gauvin

Department: STEM Development

College: Harvard University, rising junior

Day in the Life: Helping out the STEM editors who need help finishing up their projects, ranging from research on professors to helping perfect online learning material.

After Hours: Spending time in the city with my friends from high school, reading, and traveling

Favorite Place in NYC: SoHo

Name: Katherine Kachnowski

Department: English

College: Ohio State, rising junior

Day in the Life: I assist with revising manuscripts and checking proofs to ensure that everything is ready for production.

After Hours: [I] Read, hang out with friends, and explore the city

Favorite Place in NYC: Brooklyn Bridge Park

Name: Nick Rizzuti

Department: Psychology

College: Hofstra University, rising Senior

Day in the Life: I spend most of the day working on projects for the Editorial Assistants; these are time consuming, but detail oriented and important. Right now I'm reading professor reviews, pulling quotes for catalog copy, and saving them on Salesforce.com. It's cool to see what the professors think of the text, and it's an interesting peek into some other areas outside editorial (marketing, sales). Occasionally, I get to attend meetings (weekly check ins and whatever else comes up) which feels like a great way to get a feel for the workings of Macmillan first hand!

After Hours: I like to play board and card games, write poetry, watch Big Brother, read incessantly on the LIRR, and juggle.

Favorite Place in NYC: I'll give the stereotypical book nerd answer and say the Strand for now, but a quest this summer is to find a bookstore with a better sf and fantasy section to replace that.

Name: Danielle Straub

Department: Communication

College: Hunter College, rising junior

Day in the Life: Everyday is different, working on various different projects

After Hours: Explore the city, hang out with friends and family, read, go to the beach, play with my dog, any outdoor activity

Favorite Place in NYC:The Whitney Museum and Gemma Restaurant at the Bowery Hotel

Name: Kayla Williamson

Department: Technical Communications Intern

College: Spring Arbor University, rising senior

Day in the Life: Within the first hour of my day, I call my manager (she works from home). She gives me the tasks for the day and updates me on what she's done for our summer project. We're organizing and reworking workflows and instructions, so it's a collaborative project. So far it's been a lot of learning about technical communication - watching webinars, reading articles, etc. I'm also learning a lot about Salesforce, since that's what the instructions we're reworking is about. My day is also (unfortunately or fortunately) filled with eating. My desk is right next to the candy shelf, so I don't even have to leave my chair to grab some Hershey Kisses or fluffy mints!

After Hours: Run. Well, attempt to run. I also freelance graphic design to help pay for housing and food. If you can't tell, I love food. I can't wait to explore all the different restaurants and try as many types of food as I can.

Favorite Place in NYC: I just arrived in NYC the day before the internship started. So I haven't explored much yet. So far my favorite place is Battery Park right next door. I sit on a bench in clear view of the Statue of Liberty. It's a pretty sweet location.

Granted, I haven't visited Midtown yet. I have a feeling the theatre district will be my favorite spot once I visit.

Next week, check back to find out how interns can adapt their classroom skills to their internships!

Attachments

Outcomes