Faculty Consultant for Sapling Economics - Solina Lindahl, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

Document created by Becky Anderson Employee on Nov 28, 2017Last modified by Becky Anderson Employee on Sep 18, 2019
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Solina LindahlName: Solina Lindahl

Department: Economics

School: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (CA)

Product: SaplingPlus

How do you use SaplingPlus?  I use SaplingPlus to hold students accountable for their preparation - and to meet the variety of needs in my large classes. Each day I assign video tutorials with accompanying pre-lecture quizzes and bridge questions that require students to justify their answers (which helps me to recognize misperceptions.)  Weekly I assign longer and more analytical homework questions especially graphing ones (these are foolproof in SaplingPlus).  All of this has helped me transition to a more active learning large classroom.

Advice on using technology with students: One piece of advice: Frame (and remind often) WHY you're using technology, especially if you're using it intensively.  Also, make sure to be clear about your policies for late work, tech failures etc up front.  Make sure to walk them through the site in class; I think they know less about tech than we assume.

Attachments

Outcomes