There are two parts to installing on a Windows computer. First, you must install the Windows drivers. Then, you can install the software. If you are using a Mac, see Installing Software for Mac.
iOLab for Windows requires Windows 7 or higher.
Install the drivers
Note: This process is for Windows computers only. Do not install the drivers on a Mac.
Download driver installerStart by downloading the driver installation application that is appropriate for your computer:
Most computers are 64 bit, but you can check your system settings if you aren't sure which to download.
Run the installerRight-click on the application icon and select Run as administrator as shown below.
You will need Administrator privileges on your PC to run the driver installation code. If you try to run the installer by just clicking on it rather than right-clicking and selecting Run as administrator, you will see an error message.
Bypass Windows 8 protectionsOn Windows 8, you may get a "Windows protected your PC" message. If this happens, click on the More info link as shown, then click the Run Anyway button that appears.
Complete installationClick Yes or Continue as needed until the installation is finished.
Plug in dongleThe first time you plug an iOLab dongle into your PC it may take some time for the driver to load. Please be patient and wait until it's finished.
If you experience an issue after installing...
Sometimes the driver will be unexpectedly removed by virus protection software. If you have trouble running the application after installing, you can deactivate virus protection temporarily and re-install the driver.
Instructions for Windows 7 manual installation
- Download Driver.zip, a zipped folder containing the driver.
- Extract the folder called Driver and put it on your desktop (you can delete it when you are finished).
- Plug the iOLab dongle into an available USB port on your computer. After trying for a while, Windows will fail to find the driver.
- In the Start Menu, choose Control Panel and open the Device Manager.
- Under the heading Ports (COM & LPT) you should see an entry called IOLab Virtual COM Port. Right-click on this entry and select Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software and navigate to the Driver folder that you put on your desktop. Select the Driver folder, click OK, then click Next.
- If you see a message that Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software, just click on Install this driver software anyway to finish the installation.
A. Open a command prompt and reboot your computer with the following command: shutdown -o -r -t 0
B. On reboot, do the following:
- Click Troubleshoot
- Click Advanced Options
- Click Startup Settings
- Click Restart
- When the computer restarts, select Disable driver signature enforcement from the list.
Install the software
Download the installer file.
The zip file you just downloaded contains an application folder with a name that starts with IOLab. Extract this folder and put it someplace convenient.
Extract application folder
Important: You must extract the entire folder in order to run the executable file.
Inside the application folder is the iOLab application installer file, IOLab.exe. Double click on this to start installing the application.
Run exe file
Optional: Right-click on iOLab.exe to create a desktop shortcut. This will allow you to easily open the iOLab software from your desktop later.
If you run into problems because Norton Anti-Virus is quarantining your iOLab application, please view the help article Norton Anti-Virus Preventing Software Installation.
iOLab software does not update automatically. If you wish to install an update, you must repeat the software installation process with the latest installer file.
If you are experiencing issues with the latest version of the software, you may want to try installing a previous version. Links to several installer files for previous versions are provided below.
Previous software versions
To uninstall the iOLab application, simply delete the iOLab.exe file. Your other iOLab files including data, calibrations, lessons, and lab reports will not be removed unless you also delete them from your Documents/IOLab-Workfiles folder.