FAQ: iClicker Cloud

Document created by Digital Support on Mar 9, 2018Last modified by Digital Support on Mar 9, 2018
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Have a question that's not listed? Please contact support at support@iclicker.com.
What is the difference between iClicker Cloud and iClicker Reef?

iClicker Cloud is the platform instructors use to conduct polling, quizzing, and attendance sessions during class, and to manage results and grades from those sessions after class.

iClicker Reef is the mobile/website application students use to participate in polling, quizzing, and attendance sessions. It can be accessed on mobile devices, tablets, or laptops.
Return to top.

As an iClicker Cloud instructor do I also have access to iClicker Reef? 
Instructors can log in to the iClicker Reef student application via the web or a mobile device using the same user name and password as their iClicker Cloud account. After creating an iClicker Cloud instructor account, those login credentials can also be used to log into Reef and experience polling, quizzing, attendance, and viewing results from the student perspective. 

Just like accounts created by students, instructor access to participate polling and quizzing with Reef will expire after a 14 day free trial period. Instructors who would like to participate in polling or quizzing sessions using Reef after that point can email support@iclicker.com to request an extension of the 14 day free trial period. Please note that Reef can still be used to view the Course History and and Session Details after the 14 day free trial period.
Return to top.

Why did I receive an error message saying my email address is already in use?

If you create a Reef student account and then attempt to create an iClicker Cloud instructor account with the same email address, you may receive an error message. As a best practice, we recommend creating an instructor account prior to creating a student account.

To resolve this issue:
  1. Download the iClicker Cloud Instructor software
  2. Type in your email and password used to access your student account
  3. Select the “Sign In” button
  4. If you receive an error message, select the “Forgot Password?” button and reset your password
This process will reset the password for both the instructor account and the student account and allow for you to log-in and use both accounts.

Return to top.

My institution is not listed in iClicker Cloud. How can I add it?

If your institution has not yet been added to our database, you can request that we add it by completing this form. You will be notified within 2 business days of submitting your request about the status of the request.

Return to top.

What is the difference between the iClicker Cloud desktop software and the iClicker Cloud instructor website? 

The iClicker Cloud desktop software is the hub for running iClicker Cloud polling or quizzing sessions. This is also where you can view, manage, and grade results for each session, and update course settings in regards to preferences and scoring for polling, quizzing, and grading. The software must be downloaded in order to access these features and settings. Settings related to polling sessions, quizzing sessions, and the link instructors need to establish single-column LMS integration can be updated from the iClicker Cloud desktop software.

The iClicker Cloud instructor website is the hub for running running attendance sessions, as well as viewing results and student performance for individual polling or quizzing sessions. This website can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection. If you are utilizing the iClicker Cloud single-column LMS integration, this is also where you sync grades to your LMS. Settings related to course details, attendance, and grade sync can be updated from the instructor website.

See the table below to learn what you can and cannot do in the desktop software and instructor website.
Exclusive to the desktop software
  • Run polling and/or quizzing sessions
  • Grade polling and/or quizzing sessions
  • Customize the scoring settings for all sessions or individual sessions
Exclusive to the instructor website
  • Run attendance sessions
  • View granular grading data by session and by student
  • Export your roster
  • Manually update session points for individual students
  • Sync grades to a single column in your LMS (requires set-up by a campus admin)
Activities available both through the software and the website
  • View a summary of all session data.
  • Export data for individual sessions and/or all sessions
  • Delete a session
  • View your roster and delete students if needed

Return to top.

Can I change individual students’ scores after class?

Yes! Individual student scores can be updated at any time at the iClicker Cloud instructor website.
Return to top.

How do I retroactively adjust scores for a previously run session?
In order to adjust scores for the entire class from a previously run session, log in to the iClicker Cloud desktop software, click on the course and then click the Sessions History tab. Click on the session you wish to modify. Here you can change the points awarded for that session. You can also delete a question from a session to drop the total points available for that session by clicking the trash can icon in the bottom left corner. These changes can be made by clicking into a particular session via the Session History tab
Return to top.

Where do I find which version of the iClicker Cloud software I’m using?
To identify which version of the iClicker Cloud software you are using, click Help, then select About iClicker Cloud from your menu. In order to access to the latest features and fixes, we recommend you consistently update to the most recent version of iClicker Cloud.
Return to top.

My Mac is saying the iClicker Cloud program is damaged and must be put in the trash. What should I do?

If you are using a Mac and running iClicker Cloud from an external drive (e.g., USB flash drive), you must first run the program from the internal hard drive (e.g., from the Downloads or Desktop folder) before moving it to a removable drive.

Return to top.

Can I use a physical iClicker instructor remote with iClicker Cloud?
Yes! You can enter your instructor remote ID in your iClicker Cloud profile and it will work in your course as long as you plug-in the iClicker base.
Return to top.

Can I run attendance sessions during a poll or quiz, or do I need to run attendance separately? 

Attendance can be run in the background during a poll or quiz, but you must launch it from the iClicker Cloud instructor website, or have attendance set-up to automatically run during your class time. If you are allowing students to use iClicker remotes in your iClicker Cloud class, you must ask a polling or quizzing question while Attendance is running in order for those students to have their Attendance properly accounted for.
Return to top.

Which devices can students use to participate in iClicker Cloud sessions?
Students can participate in iClicker Cloud polling, quizzing, and attendance sessions with iClicker Reef on a mobile device or laptop, or with an iClicker 2 remote (with the LCD screen). Students can only participate with remotes if you have an iClicker base plugged into the computer you are using to run sessions. Students using Reef can participate in all question types, however students using remotes cannot participate in target questions.

Please note that iClicker + remotes and original iClicker remotes are not supported by the iClicker Cloud system.

Return to top.

Can students vote with an iClicker remote and the iClicker Reef mobile app interchangeably?

Students who have both an iClicker remote and an active subscription/access code for iClicker Reef can use their devices interchangeably throughout the term. However, a student can only receive credit from one device at a time. If a student tries to respond to the same polling question using more than one device, the software will only record the most recently submitted response.
Return to top.

How is my roster created in iClicker Cloud?
Your roster is created in iClicker Cloud as students add your course to their Reef accounts. Each time a student adds your course in Reef, he or she will be added to your roster.

If you integrate iClicker Cloud with your LMS via the single-column or multiple-column integrations, your students must associate their iClicker Reef accounts with your LMS. This will automatically add students to your iClicker roster, and requires set-up by both you and your campus administrator.
Return to top.

Can I start polling sessions immediately at the start of a term, or do my students need to register with iClicker before I start running sessions? 

No, students do not need to be registered in order for iClicker Cloud to collect votes. Student registration must occur at some point in the semester, and varies depending on how you will be adding grades from iClicker Cloud to your LMS.

To participate using the iClicker Reef mobile app, students need to create a Reef account or log into their existing account, add your course, then click “Join” when you start a polling, quizzing or attendance session. 

To participate using iClicker remotes (if you are allowing them in your class), students can participate with their remotes immediately as long as you have an iClicker base plugged into your computer. In order for their remote responses to be tied to their names, they will eventually need to register by entering their iClicker remote IDs into their Reef accounts.

Return to top.

Which presentation software does iClicker Cloud work with?
iClicker works with any presentation software, including PowerPoint, Prezi, Google Slides, Keynote and more. Simply incorporate your questions into your presentation; the iClicker system does not require preloading questions or answers. The iClicker toolbar floats on top of whatever material is on your screen, enabling you to poll at any point during your class, and jump out of your presentation to ask questions on the fly. Each time you start a polling question, iClicker takes a screen shot for you and your students to review later, so you always have a record of the questions you asked in class. No additional work is required.
Return to top.

Is there a limit to the number of students who can participate in my sessions?
There is no official limit. iClicker Cloud has the capacity to work in very large classes containing hundreds of students using both mobile devices and physical clickers if you have the instructor base plugged in. However, please be aware that your campus’ wireless network may not be able to handle such a large load on its servers.
For an optimal experience, your classroom should be capable of supporting the estimated maximum number of simultaneous connections within the same access area (i.e., sufficient Access Points to support the students in the room and the multiple mobile devices they bring with them). It is also strongly encouraged that the instructor computer connects using a hardwired internet connection when polls, quizzes, and attendance are running; this will improve session stability and free up more wifi for students.
Return to top.

Where can I find students’ individual responses to my iClicker questions?

To see the responses each individual student has submitted, you can export individual session data from Session History tab of your iClicker Cloud desktop software. Click on the session you would like to review and click the Export button in the upper right hand corner. This will generate a spreadsheet with general class scores for the session as well as separate tabs with individual student responses to each question you have asked. Please note that you will not be able to see students’ responses to questions asked while in anonymous polling mode. Their responses will display as “ANON.”

You can also view individual student’s responses at the iClicker Cloud instructor website by selecting a student’s name from the Roster or Gradebook tab, then clicking “Session Details”.

Return to top.

Some of my students use more than one iClicker remote to participate. Are they cheating?

Occasionally, students will register and use more than one remote during the course of a semester. This typically happens because they have lost their remote and registered the replacement. The gradebook will give the student credit for responses from either of the clickers registered; however, a student can never receive "double points," even if both remotes are used in the same session.

Academic dishonesty occurs if a student brings multiple remotes to class that are registered to other students in the course who are not present. Be sure to include information about iClicker in whatever academic honesty policies you include in your syllabus and expressly forbid students from voting with iClicker remotes registered to other students in the same course..

Return to top.

Why does my instructor remote occasionally stop controlling the presentation?

The most common cause of this issue is that presentation software (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) going "out of focus." When this happens, your operating system does not know which application your instructor remote is trying to interact with, causing your instructor remote to be ignored. The best preventative measure is to consistently use either the instructor remote or the mouse during a session; do not alternate between the two, if possible.
  • PC users: you will always know when your presentation has gone out of focus because the start menu will appear below your presentation. To correct this issue on PC, use your mouse to click the presentation window or use ctrl+tab to select your presentation software as the active application.
  • Mac users: to correct this issue on Mac, use your mouse to click the presentation window or you use control+tab to select your presentation software as the active application.

Return to top.

How do I replace my iClicker base?

We are always happy to help troubleshoot and/or replace a base you suspect may be defective. Contact our technical support team at support@iclicker.com or call toll-free at 866.209.5698 with questions or issues with your base.

Return to top.

What do the numbers on the LCD panel of my base mean?

The iClicker base features a unique LCD that displays student clicker responses as they come in. Information is updated every second a poll is running. The LCD display includes the timer on the upper left, the total vote count on the upper right, and the distribution of votes (A-E) or top responses (Numeric and Alphanumeric) across the bottom. The LCD enables you to monitor student voting progress and choices without displaying the graph to the whole class.

Return to top.

Can I use my base and instructor remote for more than one course?

Yes. Your iClicker equipment can be used for any number of classes where students are using iClicker remotes to participate

Return to top.

Why and when would the frequency of the iClicker base and remotes need to be changed?

Changing the operating frequency prevents vote interference from nearby classrooms. Interference can occur when student votes cross over from classroom to classroom when more than one instructor is running iClicker sessions using an iClicker base. It is only necessary to change the frequency if another iClicker radio frequency base is in use nearby. You can check for conflicts with nearby bases in the clickers tab of your Course Settings.

Return to top.

How do I change the frequency of an iClicker base?

If you need to change the frequency of your iClicker base, we recommended doing so only once at the start of the term and keeping it consistent for the remainder of the term. If you are using iClicker Cloud, you can change your base frequency by visiting the Clickers tab of your course settings.

Regardless of which system you are using, you and your students will then need to update the frequency of your iClicker remotes if you update your base frequency; if you have selected an iClicker base frequency other than the default (AA), iClicker will display an alert on iClicker remotes when polling begins–therefore students can only change their frequency when there is an active polling session. If needed, we recommended to changing the base frequency only once at the start of the term and keeping it consistent for the remainder of the term.

Return to top.

How do I change the frequency on an iClicker remote?

If you have selected an iClicker base frequency other than the default (AA), iClicker will display an alert on iClicker remotes when polling begins–therefore students can only change their frequency when there is an active polling session. Directions for changing the frequency can be found below, as well as on the back of every remote. iClicker 2 remotes remember the last saved frequency.
  1. Press and hold the Power button until the two-letter frequency on the LCD flashes.
  2. Use the A-E buttons to enter the new two-letter frequency code. A checkmark appears on the LCD screen, indicating the frequency change was successful.
Return to top.

How does the iClicker base connect to my computer?

The iClicker base connects to each computer via a USB cable (provided in each iClicker instructor kit).

Return to top.

Is installation required for the iClicker base?

No. Simply plug the iClicker base into your computer and you are ready to go.

Return to top.

Is the iClicker base compatible with MacBook USB-C ports?

Newer versions of MacBooks no longer have the USB-A port that is compatible with the standard USB cord included in the iClicker base instructor kit. Instead, they have a USB-C port. If your MacBook falls under this category, you will need a USB-C to USB adapter in order to plug the iClicker base into your device.

Adding an adapter may cause the device pathname to be too long for the iClicker base base to function properly. Therefore, instructors using iClicker Cloud should update to version 4.2.1 (or newer) in order to support longer device pathnames. Instructors using iClicker Classic should avoid using a system that requires a USB adapter until similar longer device pathnames are supported (software update coming soon).

Return to top.

Will the iClicker base interfere with WiFi signals?

No. iClicker operates in the 900 MHz band, ensuring no interference with campus Wi-Fi networks.

Return to top.

How many votes can the iClicker base receive and how fast can it receive them?

The iClicker base receives individual votes in less than a second. iClicker has been used successfully in classes with up to 1,500 student participants.

Return to top.

What is the range for the iClicker base and remotes?

iClicker has a base-to-remote range of 200-300 feet.

Return to top.

Where should I place the iClicker base in the classroom?

The iClicker base can be placed anywhere in your classroom; it does not require a line of sight to receive responses. However, we do not recommend placing the base inside any type of metal enclosure, such as a metal podium.

Return to top.