Topic(s): Voting, youth voting, voting research
Search terms: swipe the vote rock the vote
Video title: Swipe the Vote | Tinder
Time (of video): 0:32
Posted by: Tinder
Date posted: September 25, 2018
Video description: Rock the Vote is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to engage young people in politics. They've collaborated with Tinder for their newest campaign, Swipe the Vote, which encourages voters to swipe their way into the 2018 midterm elections.
Question/writing prompt to discuss or paste into discussion board/video tools: Why would you vote? What might stop you from voting? What would you need to "look up" in order to vote?
Civic Awareness Objective: Students research relevant political issues.
Most students know when major elections are happening in their state, but are they aware of local elections?
- Have students do research on upcoming elections and hot issues in the community in which they are registered to vote (assuming that they are registered—if they are not, use this opportunity to encourage all students to register before the upcoming deadlines).
- Students should bring their findings to class.
- As a class, examine the issues on general election ballots versus local elections.
- Rock the Vote Objective: Students learn why it's so valuable for young people to vote.
Have students research the history of the Rock the Vote campaign to answer the following questions:
- Why did Rock the Vote form?
- Who is the target audience for Rock the Vote?
- What are some reasons why young people might not vote?
- What impact has Rock the Vote had on mobilizing young people to vote?