Today, more and more interviews are being conducted through video conferencing platforms, such as Skype or WebEx. As part of your Job Portfolio, you will go through a mock interview.
Using Biginterview.com, which you can access through Blackboard, you will record responses to several interview questions.
An interviewer will ask you one question from each of the following group of questions:
- What attracted you to this company?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want this job?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- Give me an example of a time that you felt you went above and beyond the call of duty at work.
- Can you describe a time when your work was criticized?
- Have you ever been on a team where someone was not pulling their own weight? How did you handle it?
- Tell me about a time when you had to give someone difficult feedback. Howe did you you handle it?
- What is your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it?
- How would you describe your work style?
- What would be your ideal working environment?
- What are you looking for in terms of career development?
- How do you want to improve yourself in the next year?
- What kind of goals would you have in mind if you got this job?
Write out responses for the questions and practice. Become familiar with key points you want to say for each response.
Practice. Time yourself. Make sure responses aren't too short and that you elaborate.
Once you have practiced, login to Blackboard and register for Biginterview.com using your TAMUSA credentials.
From your Dashboard, click on Practice, and follow the guidelines below:
- There are designated questions for our course - you will need to enter the course ID number.
- From here, you will see an interviewer on the left part of your screen, and a screen of your camera to record on the right.
- When ready, click PLAY for the question, then click RECORD when you are ready to answer and record.
- When finished, click STOP RECORDING
- Make sure to have a quiet space. Raise your laptop so that the screen is eye level. If you need a quiet space or a computer, visit the Mays Center in the STEM Building. They have interview rooms for students to use for interviews.
- Look straight into the screen as if you're talking to the interviewer. Use sticky notes to write out key words or phrases and put them around your computer screen so it doesn't look like you are reading your answers.
- Do not rush through your responses. It's perfectly normal to feel nervous, but attempt to speak clearly and calmly.
- Take a break between your responses.
- After you have recorded yourself, watch your video and review it. You may end up recording yourself several times.
- If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me, visit IT, or ask for help at the Mays Center.
Upload your final video links to Blackboard.