Whitney Adams | Unifying People Through Multiple Dialogic Encounters and Discourse

Document created by Zac Bacco on Jan 8, 2019
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Whitney Adams shares insight into her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As a student, she uses her research to unify people through the use of multiple dialogic encounters and discourse.
Whitney Adams shares insight into her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As a student, she uses her research to unify people through the use of multiple dialogic encounters and discourse.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

My research on the rhetoric of the American South commits me to do the work that I do. Instead of focusing on what always divides us, my research works to unify people through the use of multiple dialogic encounters and discourse. My research not only is written for those in the academy, but for those outside as well. I am from West Virginia, and I do not ever want to forget where I came from. Everyone deserves the chance to learn and make their own informed and educated decisions about policies and what is going on around them. Through my time as both an educator and third-year PhD student at Clemson University, my Nana has been my biggest motivator. She passed away last year, and I was heartbroken she will not be present as I graduate with my PhD. My Nana, a West Virginia native, never had the opportunity to attend college. However, she always took the time to understand what was going on around her through the tools available to her. I hope to help others do this as well.

Through my work on the American South, I hope to have a positive impact. My PhD program in Rhetorics, Communication, and Information Design focuses on knowing, making, and doing. I hope to implement this in my work specifically through the use of anti-racist pedagogy, which allows for social change both inside and the walls of the classroom. Anti-racist pedagogy allows me to further draw on the dialogic, through using multiple perspectives and dialogue. I also study how the South is perceived in other countries, which fuels my passion for dialogic travel and engagement with others.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes