Victoria Moy | A Starting Point for Refugee Children

Document created by Zac Bacco on Jan 8, 2019Last modified by Zac Bacco on Jan 8, 2019
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Victoria Moy shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As an educator and community leader, she started a non-profit to support and help child refugees.
Victoria Moy shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As an educator and community leader, she started a non-profit to support and help child refugees.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

I often say I just teach my students English, while they teach me about perseverance, hope, and humanity. My refugee students’ stories about their lives in their war-torn countries and about their struggles in the U.S. inspired me to make a difference. In June 2017, I launched a nonprofit organization, Starting Point for Refugee Children, to make an impact in the community of newcomers in the greater Sacramento area through distribution of basic necessities, English language classes, and a soccer program. Since our launch just 16 months ago, we have supported close to 1500 refugee children.

With each community event I lead and each home I visit, I continue to hear horrific stories of their past, painful struggles during their resettlement, and bright hopes for their future. Each story opens my eyes and serves as fuel to continue the work I do in the community and to think of greater ways to support and impact this next generation of Americans. It is my hope that the work I do inside the classroom, as well as through my nonprofit, will help refugees be successful at their new starting point in their lives and to lead happy, fulfilling lives in the U.S.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes