Sarah Dzurko | In Memory Of A Loved One

Document created by Zac Bacco on Jan 8, 2019Last modified by Zac Bacco on Jan 8, 2019
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Sarah Dzurko shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As a student, she works to be the best she can be with support from loved ones.
Sarah Dzurko shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As a student, she works to be the best she can be with support from loved ones.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

When I was in the ninth grade, my grandmother- Jane Sheppick- passed away; I was broken. I became extremely depressed and quite honestly did not know how to cope with her being gone. I went to therapy, and over the next few years I leaned to turn that negative impact into something positive. I forgave a lot of people, I smiled a lot more, and I also lost 100 pounds. Not only did I become physically and mentally healthier, my educational stance soared!

My Grandmother was obsessed with making sure I was doing well in school, that I kept those straight A's. My ninth grade year wasn't the greatest, I was ranked seventh in the class. By the time I reached the end of sophomore year, I as second in the class. Then, my junior year of high school, I worked so hard that I reached the first spot. During my senior year, I buckled down and kept my first place spot and was Valedictorian. I was so thrilled to know that my name went up on the banner with the previous first ranked students, one of those students being my biggest inspiration- Mrs. Joelle Cooper. Mrs. Cooper was my high school math teacher, I had her four years in a row and she is the reason I went to Duquesne University to pursue a math and education career. She was a huge motivator and kept me sane and on track during high school, even now when I really need her. Mrs. Cooper and my late grandmother are the biggest reasons I do what I do everyday. They have/had so much confidence in me, which allows for me to have that confidence in myself, even when I feel down. I cannot wait for what the future has to hold.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes