George Jones | Intellectual Interaction For Continued Learning Stimulation

Document created by Zac Bacco on Jan 8, 2019
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
George Jones shares his journey and why he does what he does to achieve more. As an educator, he works to inspire intellectual interaction to improve learning stimulation with students.
George Jones shares his journey and why he does what he does to achieve more. As an educator, he works to inspire intellectual interaction to improve learning stimulation with students.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

I enjoy teaching because the intellectual interaction is stimulating for me and the students. I believe that a teacher should draw upon his/her operational and leadership experience in the real business world and use a variety of methods to reach students and not just use the same method day after day. A passive style of teaching causes students to become distracted and lose interest in the subject discipline. Some of the methods that can be used are small-group practical exercises and presentations, research projects, computer-enhanced lectures, and independent study. It is important that the students work hard and be actively engaged in learning the material in order to produce the terminal learning outcomes that are outlined in the course syllabus objectives. The student also needs to be able to apply what is learned in competing for a good job and then prove that they are capable of performing successfully to sustain that job in a competitive international marketplace.

About 15 years ago, a business instructor at our community college was hospitalized and couldn’t teach his courses. At the time I was in administration as the Chief Business Officer and the business division chair asked if I could help fill in. I agreed to cover the classes and everything went well so I continued to teach part-time in addition to my regular full-time job. I am now retired from my full-time job after 24 years but continue to teach online courses for two universities and a different community college. It’s fun and rewarding. I hope that everyone continues to pursue their educational and career goals. People can do amazing things if they are only given the chance.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes