Heather Bennett | Understanding and Supporting the Path to Graduation

Document created by Zac Bacco on Jan 9, 2019Last modified by Sara Jo Lee on Jan 9, 2019
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Heather Bennett shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As an educator, she works to provide inspirational support to students on the cusp of greatness.
Heather Bennett shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As an educator, she works to provide inspirational support to students on the cusp of greatness.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

As history faculty at a California Community College, I get to teach students about the interconnected nature of past and present. My students are diverse, some are young, others are returning, some are the first in their family to attend college, and some are undocumented. As a first generation college graduate and third generation immigrant, I too started my journey at the community college level, and so I am uniquely positioned to understand some of the hurdles—financial, emotional, and social—that some of my students have to clear or manage on their path toward graduation. I try to alert them as often as possible to the overwhelming potential they each have and the unlimited possibilities that they are creating for themselves every time they attend class, complete assignments, or attend a campus function. Above all, I want them to take themselves seriously and believe in their future selves.

My courses include Western Civilizations, Modern Europe and its colonies, and the Practice of History. In each section, I am keen to expose students to the rise of mass political participation and to encourage them to think about their own civic engagement. It is encouraging to me to know that I have been the push behind many of them registering to vote! It is my absolute pleasure to get to be in this position, and I try every day to display the same passion, enthusiasm, and engagement that I was exposed to by faculty along my way from community college to graduate school.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes