Martha Low | Experiencing the Natural World

Document created by Zac Bacco on Jan 9, 2019
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Martha Low shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As an educator, she works to experience and enjoy all creatures and things in the natural world.
Martha Low shares her journey and why she does what she does to achieve more. As an educator, she works to experience and enjoy all creatures and things in the natural world.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

In the photo, I am standing on the only thing remaining intact on my property following an F3 Tornado in May of 1998. With little warning, I screamed for my husband (who just got home from work) to grab the girls (3 and 6) and get to the basement. As my ears began to pop, I ran to get our beloved dog---got to the basement stairs and the house exploded---pulling my dog and I up inside the funnel cloud. My children and husband were buried beneath. By grace, we all survived. After a bout with PTSD, I left clinical work and began teaching. Purely by accident, I fell into my "flow" and passion. I am in my 20th year of teaching, and believe so in the power of nature and unexpected events that shape our lives.

I bring my second chance at life into the classroom every day. When not teaching, I am outside at home or elsewhere...taking in the glorious world. I always try and relate my class discussions to real world experiences and instill energy and excitement in my students...one day and one class at a time...as I have learned how quickly circumstances can change. I continue to find inspiration in my wonderful pets (Max is in the picture on bridge ), in gardening, in hiking, in turtle rescue, and bird watching. I am, indeed, Blessed every day.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes