OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES AND D.C. WHO, AS OF THE DATE OF ENTRY, ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AND ARE EMPLOYED AS AN INSTRUCTOR AT A HIGH SCHOOL OR HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION WITHIN ANY OF THE FIFTY (50) UNITED STATES OR D.C. AND ARE TEACHING A COURSE(S) DURING THE 2019 SCHOOL YEAR IN A DISCIPLINE WHERE SPONSOR HAS A BOOK(S) OR DIGITAL PRODUCT(S). VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. U.S. PROMOTION LAWS GOVERN THIS CONTEST.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The “Spring 2019 Macmillan Learning Community Posting” Contest (the “Contest”), sponsored by Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC, doing business as Macmillan Learning (“Sponsor”), is open only to persons who, as of the date of entry (and, if the winner, as of the date of prize fulfillment), are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who, as of the date of entry, are 18 years of age or older, and are employed as an instructor at a high school or a higher educational institution within any of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia and are teaching a course(s) during the 2019 school year in a discipline where Sponsor has a book(s) or digital product(s),. In order to enter the Contest, an individual(s) must be eligible to use the Website (as defined below) and adhere to all terms of the Website. Any person who, as of the date of entry (and, if a winner, as of the date of prize fulfillment), are an employee of Sponsor or any of Sponsor’s parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates or advertising or promotion agencies, or a member of the immediate family or household (whether related or not) of any such employee, is not eligible. Eligibility determinations will be made by Sponsor in its discretion and will be final and binding. U.S. law governs this Contest. Void where prohibited by law.
2. HOW TO ENTER: The entry period for the Contest begins at 12:00 AM Eastern Time (ET) on March 8th, 2019 and continues through 11:59 PM ET on March 29th, 2019 (the “Entry Period”).
To enter the Contest, you must (i) visit and register at the Sponsor’s community website located at https://community.macmillan.com/groups/webinars-on-demand (the “Website”), (ii) watch one of the following eight (8) webinar videos located at the Website:
- iClicker - the science behind in class polling and response systems
- iO Lab - the groundbreaking new hardware and software solution that revolutionizes the physics lab
- College Success - using ACES assessment to measure student growth
- Mass Communication - some of the cool things you can do online with this class
- Custom Labs - a look at what digital resource exist to enhance or supplement labs
- Intro Biology - course redesign and how it can improve Biology education.
- Achieve Read & Practice
and (iii) write and post during the Entry Period a detailed comment about the video you have watched (in the comment section just below the video) (the “Submission”). The Submission needs to be substantive and related to the webinar video in question and should reflect that you viewed the webinar video. Submissions must be posted prior to the conclusion of the Entry Period. Each Submission must comply with all of the guidelines set forth in Section 3. An entrant can post a Submission on all webinar videos but Sponsor will only issue one prize to any one individual overall. Entry times will be determined using Sponsor’s computer. Normal time rates and data charges, if any, charged by the entrant’s Internet or mobile service provider will apply. All entries are subject to verification at any time. Sponsor will have the right, in its discretion, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility in a form acceptable to Sponsor (including, without limitation, government-issued photo identification). Failure to provide such proof to the satisfaction of Sponsor in a timely manner may result in disqualification.
3. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: By submitting a Submission, the entrant represents and warrants that he or she has complied with all of the requirements set forth in this Section 3. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Submission that Sponsor determines does not comply with the guidelines set forth in this Section 3. The Submission must comply with the following guidelines: (a) the Submission must be original; (b) the entrant must own the copyright in the Submission; (c) the Submission must not contain any material that is defamatory, threatening, indecent, violent, obscene or offensive, or that promotes a political agenda; (d) the Submission must not contain any material that violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including without limitation copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity, or that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable laws or regulations, or whose use by the Contest Entities requires a license or permission from or payment to any third party; and (e) the Submission must not contain any material that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, deems inappropriate for public viewing and/or for posting on Sponsor’s website and/or social media channels.
4. WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: Following the conclusion of the Entry Period, three (3) potential prize winners will be selected by judges designated by Sponsor (the “Judges”) from among all eligible Submissions received during the Entry Period for each webinar video, by applying the following criteria (the “Judging Criteria”), weighted as indicated: (a) extent to which the Submission comments on the applicable webinar video (33%), (b) creativity and thoughtfulness (33%), and (c) overall impression (34%). The three (3) entrants whose Submission receives the highest score from the Judges for the applicable webinar video based on the Judging Criteria will be the prize winner. In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken based on the tied entrants’ “overall impression” score. The odds of winning depend on the number and quality of eligible entries received. The potential winners will be notified via <email> (sent to the e-mail address provided by the entrant registering for the Website) and will be required to respond within seventy-two (72) hours of Sponsor’s initial notification attempt. Each potential winner is subject to verification of eligibility and may, in Sponsor’s discretion, be required to complete and return to Sponsor an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability, and, if legally permissible, a Publicity Release and any other documentation provided by Sponsor in connection with verification of the potential winner’s eligibility and confirmation of the releases and grant of rights set forth in these Official Rules (as applicable, “Winner Verification Documents”) within three (3) days of attempted delivery of same. The potential winner(s) may also in Sponsor’s discretion be required to complete and return to Sponsor an IRS Form W-9 within three (3) days of attempted delivery of same. If a potential winner cannot be reached or does not respond within seventy-two (72) hours of the initial notification attempt, or if any attempted notification or prize delivery is returned as undeliverable, or if a potential winner fails to complete, sign and return any required Winner Verification Documentation and/or IRS Form W-9 within three (3) days of attempted delivery of same, or if a potential winner does not otherwise comply with these Official Rules and/or cannot accept the prize as awarded for any reason, then the potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may, at Sponsor's discretion, be selected for the prize from among the remaining eligible entries as specified in these Official Rules (in which case the foregoing provisions will apply to such newly-selected entrant).
5. PRIZES: Three (3) Grand Prizes will be offered for each webinar video (for a total of eighteen (18) prizes. Each prize will be one of the following (to be chosen by the winner):
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande (ISBN: 1250076226); the approximate retail value of such title is $17.00 US; trade paperback
- The Sun Does Shine by Ray Hinton & Laura Love Hardin (ISBN: 1250205794); the approximate retail value of such title is $26.99 US; hardback
- The Sellout by Paul Beatty (ISBN: 1250083257); the approximate retail value of such title is $16.00 US; trade paperback
- Factfulness by Hans Rosling et al (ISBN: 1250107814); the approximate retail value of such title is $27.99 US; hardcover
- Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer (ISBN: 0374537151); the approximate retail value of such title is $14.00 US.; trade paperback
- A Higher Loyalty by James Comey (ISBN 9781250192455); the approximate retail value of such title is $29.99 US; hardcover
- Free Complaint by Jeffrey Eugenides (ISBN 1250192722); the approximate retail value of such title is $17.00 US; trade paperback
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (ISBN 9780312577230); the approximate retail value of such title is $28.99 US; hardcover
- Fire and Fury by Michael Wolff (ISBN: 9781250158062); the approximate retail value of such title is $30.00 US; hardcover
- The Field of Blood by Joanne B. Freeman (ISBN: 0374154775); the approximate retail value of such title is $28.00 US; hardcover
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (ISBN: 0374533555); the approximate retail value of such title is $17.00 US; trade paperback
The aggregate approximate retail value of all prizes is between $252.00 US and $657.00 US.
All prize details (will be determined by Sponsor in its discretion. The prizes will be awarded if properly claimed. No substitution, cash redemption or transfer of the right to receive a prize is permitted, except in the discretion of Sponsor, which reserves the right to substitute a prize with a prize or prize component of equal or greater value selected by Sponsor in its discretion. Each prize consists only of those item(s) expressly specified in these Official Rules as being part of the prize. All expenses or costs associated with the acceptance or use of a prize are the responsibility of the winner. All federal, state, local taxes on prize value, if applicable, are the responsibility of the winner. An IRS form 1099 will be issued in the prize recipient’s name if required by law. Each prize is awarded “as is” and without any warranty, except as required by law. In no event will more than the number of prizes specified in these Official Rules be awarded
6. GRANT OF RIGHTS: By entering the Contest, each entrant irrevocably grants to Sponsor and each of Sponsor’s parent companies, affiliates, subsidiaries and advertising and promotion agencies and the successors and assigns, agents and licensees of each of the foregoing (all of the foregoing, the “Contest Entities”) the right to use the entrant’s name, biographical information, voice, likeness and/or statements attributed to the entrant (“Personality Rights”) in perpetuity, throughout the world, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed, including without limitation via Sponsor’s and third-party websites and social media and digital channels, for commercial purposes and any other purposes (including without limitation advertising and promotion) without further notice or compensation, unless prohibited by law. In addition, by entering the Contest, each entrant grants to the Sponsor, in perpetuity, a non-exclusive license to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use his/her Submission, in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest and/or Macmillan Learning or for any other purpose (including, without limitation, posting the Submission on Sponsor’s and third party website and social media and digital channels), throughout the world, in all media and formats whether now or later known or developed, without further notice or compensation.
7. RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering the Contest, to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, each entrant releases and agrees to hold harmless each of the Contest Entities, all other companies involved in the development or operation of the Contest and the Website, all other companies involved in the provision of any prize or any prize component, the successors and assigns of each of the foregoing and the directors, officers, employees and agents and contractors of all of the foregoing (all of them, the “Released Parties”), from and against any and all claims and causes of action of any kind that the entrant ever had, now has or might in the future have, arising out of or relating to the Contest, the entrant’s participation in the Contest, the use of the Website, the creation of any Submission, the operation of the Contest, the acceptance or use of a prize component or any use of the entrant’s Personality Rights and/or Submission as permitted pursuant to these Official Rules, including without limitation any and all claims and causes of action: (a) relating to any personal injury, death or property damage or loss sustained by any entrant or any other person or (b) based upon any allegation of violation of the right of privacy or right of publicity, misappropriation, defamation, or violation of any other personal or proprietary right; (c) based upon any allegation of infringement of copyright, trademark, trade dress, patent, trade secrets, moral rights or any intellectual property right, or (d) based upon any allegation of a violation of any law, rule or regulation relating to personal information or data security. Each entrant agrees not to assert any such claim or cause of action against any of the Released Parties. Each entrant assumes the risk of, and all liability for, any injury, loss or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this Contest, the use of the Website or the provision, acceptance or use of any prize or any prize component. The Released Parties are not responsible for, and will not have any liability in connection with, any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of any prize or winner. The Released Parties are not responsible for, and will not have any liability in connection with, late, lost, delayed, illegible, damaged, corrupted or incomplete entries, incorrect or inaccurate capture of, damage to, or loss of Submissions or Submission information, or any other human, mechanical or technical error of any kind relating to the operation of the Website, communications or attempted communications with any entrant, the submission, collection, storage and/or processing of entries or the administration of the Contest. The Released Parties are not responsible for, and will not have any liability in connection with any Act of God, war, terrorism, accident, fire, strike, lock-out or other labor controversy, riot, civil disturbance, act of public enemy, law, enactment, rule, restraint, order or act of any governmental instrumentality or military authority, or other cause not reasonably within their control that may delay or prevent Sponsor from fulfilling its obligations pursuant to these Official Rules.
8. GENERAL RULES: Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to modify these Official Rules (including without limitation by adjusting any of the dates and/or timeframes stipulated in these Official Rules) or to cancel, modify, suspend or terminate the Contest at any time in its discretion, including, without limitation, if a virus, bug, technical problem, entrant fraud or misconduct or other cause beyond the control of the Sponsor corrupts the administration, integrity, security or proper operation of the Contest or if for any other reason Sponsor is not able to conduct the Contest as planned (including without limitation in the event the Contest is interfered with by any fire, flood, epidemic, earthquake, explosion, labor dispute or strike, act of God or of public enemy, communications failure, riot or civil disturbance, war (declared or undeclared), terrorist threat or activity, federal, state or local law, order or regulation or court order). In the event of termination of the Contest, a notice will be posted and the winner(s) selected in accordance with the procedures set forth in these Official Rules from among all eligible entries received prior to the time of termination to award any remaining prize(s). Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify or prohibit from participating in the Contest any individual who, in Sponsor’s discretion, Sponsor determines or believes has tampered with the entry process, or has undermined the legitimate operation of the Website or the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception or other unfair playing practices, or (ii) has engaged in conduct that annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants or any representative of Sponsor, or (iii) has attempted or intends to attempt any of the foregoing. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR HAS THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. The use of agents or automated devices, programs or methods to submit entries is prohibited and Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry that it believes may have been submitted using such an agent or automated device, program or method. In the event of a dispute regarding who submitted a Submission, the Submission will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized account holder” means the person who is assigned an email address by an internet provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institute, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. An entrant may be required to provide proof (in a form acceptable to Sponsor, including, without limitation, government-issued photo identification) that he or she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the Submission in question. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All Submissions become the property of Sponsor and will not be verified or returned. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and the judges, which are final and binding in all respects. These Official Rules may not be reprinted or republished in any way without the prior written consent of Sponsor.
9. DISPUTES: By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees that, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action (Note: Some jurisdictions do not allow restricting access to class actions. This provision will not apply to you if you live in such a jurisdiction.); and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, special, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York. Any legal proceedings arising out of this Contest or relating to these Official Rules shall be instituted only in the federal or state courts located in the State of New York, waiving any right to trial by jury, and each entrant consents to jurisdiction therein with respect to any legal proceedings or disputes of whatever nature arising under or relating to these rules or the Contest. In the event of any conflict between these Official Rules and any Contest information provided elsewhere (including but not limited in advertising or marketing materials), these Official Rules shall prevail.
10. USE OF INFORMATION. Please review Sponsor's Privacy Notice at https://store.macmillanlearning.com/us/privacy-notice. By entering the Contest, each entrant hereby agrees to Sponsor's collection and use of the entrant’s personal information in accordance with such Privacy Notice, including the use of entrant’s personal information to send the entrant email updates and request feedback about products and services and to send the entrant other information from Sponsor and its related companies.
11. WINNER’S NAME WINNERS’ NAMES AND RULES REQUESTS: For the name(s) of the winner(s), available approximately 30 days after the conclusion of the Entry Period, or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Spring 2019 Macmillan Learning Community Posting Contest, c/o Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC, One New York Plaza, New York, NY 10004. Winner name requests must be received by Sponsor within six months after the conclusion of the Entry Period.
12. SPONSOR: Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC, doing business as Macmillan Learning, New York, NY 10010.