Shannon Motter | Defying the Odds

Document created by Andrew Lundner on Aug 27, 2019Last modified by Andrew Lundner on Aug 27, 2019
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Shannon Motter When I became pregnant at seventeen, I felt lost. I did not know how to move forward and most people discounted my dreams. But I knew I wanted more. And the more people told me that I couldn't, or shouldn't, attempt something, the harder I worked for it.
When I became pregnant at seventeen, I felt lost. I did not know how to move forward and most people discounted my dreams. But I knew I wanted more. And the more people told me that I couldn't, or shouldn't, attempt something, the harder I worked for it.
My Journey to #AchieveMore

Growing up on a small family-run dairy farm in rural Pennsylvania, I was struck by how hard my family worked. Only when I was older did I understand that my father was never around because he was working full-time while running the farm. When I was small, most of my family worked full-time at a glass bottling company, including my father. It's closure led my mother to be the first in our family to attend college, opening a door to me as well. When I became pregnant at seventeen, I felt lost. I did not know how to move forward and most people discounted my dreams. But I knew I wanted more. And the more people told me that I couldn't, or shouldn't, attempt something, the harder I worked for it

So I worked my way, toddler in tow, through a bachelor's degree. It was not enough. But I still had no idea what was possible. My world was so small that I could not see beyond what was right there in front of me, especially when those around me suggested that I work retail or as a secretary, even though I was a college graduate and ached for more. Eventually, I found my way into community colleges and libraries. Suddenly, I was a resource to people seeking better lives. Since then, I have spent my days creating learning opportunities for our patrons. I see students like myself, lost and feeling trapped. They drive me to achieve more. If I can create a subject guide or lead an instruction session that helps a student research or find quality information, then I know that I helped them make one step towards their own goals. I want to help them see the possibilities. I want them to push to achieve more.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes