Functional Rhetorical Appeals Project (FRAP)

Document created by Samantha Storms on Oct 22, 2019Last modified by Leah Rang on Oct 22, 2019
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Assignment by Carrie Wilson, Bedford New Scholar 2019

Description

In small groups, you will work collaboratively on an issue-oriented campaign that will take shape in two media: one tangible, one digital. Your "issue" of choice can be based in actuality or not: fracking or dementors in Azkaban. So long as you clear your topic with me in your preliminary proposal memo and steer away from the highly discouraged topics list, you should be good to go. For example, you could warn your audience about the inevitable heat-death of the universe via cautionary flyers and a radio-style broadcast or podcast. You must demonstrate through these two deliverables that you have gained an understanding of how rhetorical appeals function in multimedia in both textual and visual manners.

Now, you may be thinking, "I hate group work! There is always someone who doesn't do anything and dumps all the work on me!" The way we'll mitigate that is by including in your preliminary proposal memo the roles of each group member: editor, designer, writer, etc. This helps me see who may be responsible if anything seems lacking in the project. We will also do group evaluations as an attached requirement to the final reflection.

I intend for this project to be a fun one, but you will quickly realize that it is not without its challenges. A successful project will appear "realistic" insofar as we would not be surprised to see, hear, or read the sorts of texts you compose in our daily lives as observant individuals. Don't hesitate to look at other campaigns, especially those reliant on social media, for inspiration. I bold inspiration to emphasize that regardless of how enjoyable this assignment may seem, plagiarizing other campaigns is still unacceptable as per ASU's Academic Integrity Code.

Deliverables

Preliminary Proposal Memo -- This will take the form of a formal email that you will send to me pitching your topic so that I can give you the green light or suggestions. Only one per group needs to be sent to me, but please list the names of your group members and their proposed roles.

Project Proposal  -- This will be a written document, a sort of rhetorical roadmap, that you will collaborate on, but each of you will upload a copy to your individual student folders with the title [Groupname-FP]. Each copy should be identical, meet a minimum of 600 words, and should contain the following information:

• Describe your chosen issue/topic.
  • Describe your chosen media for both components.
  • Describe why each of these media are particularly apt regarding your topic.
  • Describe how you plan to use different rhetorical appeals for each component.
  • Explain why you have chosen these rhetorical appeals.
  • Explain how your final products will supplement one another in the end.

First draft of tangible component -- This will be the rough draft of your tangible component. It is okay if you have been working on it in a digital format that will be printed later on for the final draft. Just submit to me a completed product that you plan to continue revising for the final draft, digital or printed, so that I can give you feedback. If you choose to submit this digitally, please upload a copy to each of your student folders for everyone that is in this group with the title [Groupname-FT1].

First draft of digital component -- This will be the rough draft of your digital component. Submit the file to me, or a folder of raw files if you have yet to splice them, through each of your student folders with the title [Groupname-FD1]. Try to have a complete draft for this one, but I do understand that editing audio and video is time-consuming.

Second draft of tangible component  -- This will be the working/final draft of your tangible component. You are able to continue editing this as a group for your final e-portfolio if you like up until the end of the semester, but this will otherwise be the final draft of this component for the project. It therefore needs to be a complete product that you would be comfortable with circulating to the masses to inform them about your chosen issue. Submit this to me in tangible format, not digital. I only need one copy per group.

Second draft of digital component -- This will be the working/final draft of your digital component. You are able to continue editing this as a group for your final e-portfolio if you like up until the end of the semester, but this will otherwise be the final draft of this component for the project. It therefore needs to be a complete product that you would be comfortable with circulating to the masses to inform them about your chosen issue. Submit this to me in digital format by uploading a copy to each of your student folders with the title [Groupname-FD2].

Analytical/Evaluative Reflection  -- This is the only part of the project that will be worked on individually. Each student will submit to me a 1000-word Word Document or Google Doc through their student folder detailing the following information:

• How did your group choose to visualize your chosen topic for your audience? As in, what were the tangible and digital formats?
  • Did these formats work well for your chosen topic? Why or why not?
  • What rhetorical appeals did your group choose to implement in the different components? How do these impact the audience's perception of your group's issue?
  • What do these rhetorical appeals say about how your group wants to influence your audience? (e.g. persuasive, informative, call to action, etc.)
  • How do the genres and rhetorical approaches work together to convey your message?
  • How well do you think your group achieved your goals set in the proposal? What did or did not go well, and why?
  • What would you change if you had another opportunity to complete this assignment?

As an attachment to this, you will complete a group evaluation form that I will circulate to each student digitally. You will copy and paste the evaluation to the end of your reflection and answer the questions for each group member. This group evaluation does not count toward your total word count. Please upload this deliverable with the title [Lastname, Firstname-FR].

MORE BEDFORD NEW SCHOLARS ASSIGNMENT IDEAS

Attachments

Outcomes