Savannah Schmidt | Helping Children Move Past Toxic Environments

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Jan 12, 2020Last modified by Andrew Lundner on Mar 5, 2020
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Savannah Schmidt shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
What drives me to achieve more is wanting better for the world around me. I am going into Child Psychology, with a specific interest in Social Work. I see the foster care systems around me and can easily acknowledge a need for change. I am driven by wanting to seek change within other countries by, informing, persuading and influencing change within children's welfare. I, myself, am driven to achieve more, because my mother made the brave decision to adopt me to get me out of the foster care system in 2001. Between 1998 and 2001, I had been 'relocated' 11 times to different child care facilities. Between 1998 and 2001, I was almost adopted 3 different times, but the process was too much for these families to handle. In 2005, at only 8 years of age, I was visited by my social worker due to abuse claims made by an anonymous and concerned person. As badly as I wanted to admit that the claims were true, I was too scared; too scared to know what would happen if I wasn't taken out of the situation and too scared to find out what would happen if I was. Everyday I wake up, I remember that everything I have planned for me, is for my own purpose: to help those that are unable to help themselves. Whenever I feel unmotivated, I remember that what I want to achieve in life, is beyond me; it is something that benefits the embetterment of the children that we call our future. The foster care system does not just have it's limitations that keep it's children bound, but it does not promise the child a better life. Yes, it provides the very basics for a person to survive, but it does not provide a psychologically, healthy environment for children. What drives me to #AchieveMore is knowing that I am not only able to obtain an education, but am able to use my education to make a change and leave impact on the foster care system. What drives me to #AchieveMore is knowing that I will be bringing children out of toxic and harmful situations and bringing them to a new beginning, where they will be promised a loving and nurturing environment.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes