Susan Jackson | Compassion and Listening Can Take You Far

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 18, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Susan Jackson shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
In high school, I didn't have dedicated instructors who communicated concepts that you could thankfully comprehend. I constantly struggled with math and was left in tears and frustration. When I was half way through my undergrad degree; I had yet to fulfill math requirements and the thought of having to do so, left me with a knotted stomach. I registered for was Ms. D's Algebra 101. I explained to the instructor my apprehensions and she assured me I would be OK. Her compassion for my experiences calmed me down; and I actually looked forward to class every week. She showed us different ways to arrive at the answer. She worked with each student and used various props to get her point across. She made learning actually fun, and that made you want to learn even more. Ms. D gave me the desire to help others who have experienced a lack of connection when it comes to learning. As others have shown and taught me; I want to 'pay it forward'. Giving to others, regardless of the time, amount or the type, gives you a profound sense of accomplishment that salary, degrees or socioeconomic status cannot come close to. The impact I hope to give to others is that learning can be fun. Whether you are in K-12 or college; when you are having fun, learning seems to be so much easier. But teaching is not a one-way street! I have learned a lot from my students over the years that has helped me to become a better and more rounded instructor. I am not any better than my students, any more than they are better than me. But working together as a team, we accomplish a great deal in class and that builds a foundation. To me, that is success!

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes