Shameka Stanford | Success From Someone Who Has Been in Your Shoes

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 18, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Shameka Stanford shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
What drives me to commit myself to educating and training black and brown youth, is the fact that I am living proof of what guidance, mentorship and faith in the potential of the youth you encounter can do for someone. To see my students walk across the stage with a degree in hand and the pride in themselves that shines through, along with their renewed faith is the reason I get up everyday and teach at Howard University. I believe in intentional mentorship because black women guided me. This most importantly included my mother and my second grade teacher Zina Burton (who is still an active member in my life). They taught me how to be strong, face fears head on and remain motivated to gain all the education and experience I could. They taught me that no matter what happens in this world, your education is something NO ONE can ever take from you. When I was entering graduate school, it was the belief of my mentors in what I was capable of that got me accepted in the program that shaped my professional career. If it was not for their faith in my potential I have no idea where I would be in life right now. My GPA was not competitive enough for most of the programs I applied to. But there was one program at an HBCU who met me and decided I was more than what was on paper. The sheer knowledge that black women decided to help another black woman is why I set my sights on teaching at an HBCU, and encouraging my students to aim for whatever they desire. I hope I will have an impact on all the students I come into contact with, and they will pay it forward. I hope that they will continue the cycle of wanting to educate the next generation and looking beyond what society says they are able to do. Ultimately seeing the potential in the generations to follow the same way I saw snd still see the potential in them.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes