Terry Martin | How a Dog Can Change Your Whole Path

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 18, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Terry Martin shares what drives him to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I gradually developed a "3M" assignment at WWU for college students. I presented the concept at two national conferences and it seemed adaptable to both the audiences and was adopted by some who attended the respective conferences. The astute observation one of my on-line students today is why the 3M's (motivation, material, method) quickly caught on and became therapeutic for me. In volunteer settings, I used this means of expression to develop a dialogue (at times limited) to get closer to some people, I worked in an effort to refocus some individual's habitual thoughts. What is key here is the "refocus"! It is not me or you, but a focus on a shared appreciated "neutral zone" - things such as color or a loving animal. This past Saturday was so exciting for me after I applied for service as a hospice volunteer at Compassus in Jefferson City. I went through a training process and picked up on a need of about three hours into the training. Compassus had never had a certified "therapy animal or handler" I immediately thought about my hearing loss and about my little dog Winston. I thought about people in the past I had tried to comfort in hospice situations. They were often limited in what they could communicate and I, of course, was limited in what I could hear them say in weak voices. The rest is the history, we passed a nineteen task test,, and in an environment where we were not the best, in the arena, but present and trying; we succeeded. God had a need for both of us and now we will go out and do what we can to put a focus away from me or them and - like colors - become motivation in a loving neutral zone.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes