We will be performing system maintenance on Sunday morning July 21st from 12:01am Eastern until 7am Eastern as well as Friday morning July 26th from 6am to 9am Eastern. Sapling will not be available during these ten hours for students or instructors. Please change any assignment due dates as needed.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but one of the benefits of this maintenance are some improvements to Sapling. Based on customer feedback, we are making a number of changes to the gradebook in Sapling Learning and SaplingPlus. These updates should be available to users mid-day on Thursday, July 18th. These improvements include:
- We are making the report names more intuitive, using Gradebook and Student Report instead of Grader and User report.
- Clicking on Student Report shows a list of students and the overall grade for each student
- The list can be sorted by student name or grade
- The list can be filtered by typing in student names above the list
- Clicking on a student name goes to the grade report for the individual student
- The export pages have an improved page to select the grade items included in the file. You can now preview the download as well. In addition, export shows Excel by default.
- From the gradebook, individual grades can be edited by clicking on the grade. Viewing the submitted work and grade details are available on a menu next to the grade item.
- Scrolling grades to the side keeps the navigation tabs at the top of the page.
- When “Show Hidden Items in Gradebook” is set to No, grade items that are hidden (set on Categories and Items) will not be shown on the full Gradebook view.
- On the Categories and Items page, the icons have been updated. The buttons were moved to the top. The columns for "Keep the highest" and "Drop the lowest" are on the simple view. And Reorder Gradebook has been moved to a button next to the other buttons.
In addition, we are making changes to the Assessments Editor tool. These updates should be available to users mid-day on Thursday, July 25th. These updates include:
- Updated visuals and labels throughout for better readability and usability.
- On the Assessment tab, we renamed “Shared” item sets to “Related Set” for easier understanding.
- With regard to re-ordering items, we added a “Reorder” button, restyled the “Move here” and “Move to top/bottom/Pool” target zones, and added animations and highlighting of moving items.
- We retired the Settings tab and replaced it with a Grading Settings button on the Assessment tab. We also revamped the policy dropdown to quick-view Template cards (to make life easier) and condensed the canonical system policies to four: Homework; Test/Quiz (formerly Test); Unpenalized (formerly Practice); Student-Comment Quiz (formerly Test with student comments). We also converted other, old canonical policies and custom policies into Custom Templates cards.
We hope you will find these improvements worth the inconvenience. (We will be updating the help files shortly and your Client Success Team will be able to help with any questions as well.)