Macmillan News

Morgan Ratner
Putting Concept Practice Into Practice: A Pioneer in Teaching with Technology Introduces a Remarkable Interactive Feature for Introductory Psychology   For nearly three decades, award-winning multimedia author Tom Ludwig has helped define the cutting edge of teaching psychology through interactive technology. Now you can learn about one of…
Video preview image▶︎
in The Psychology Community
David Myers
In today’s tech world, many students come equipped with laptops for “taking notes.” Actually, as I noted in an earlier blog post, Pam Mueller and Daniel Oppenheimer have found that when it comes to remembering and applying concepts, “the pen is mightier than the keyboard.” With laptops, it is easy to take verbatim notes. When writing longhand,… (Show more)
Alanya Harter
Did you know you can customize your profile and your experience of the Macmillan Community? It's true. But first, a brief detour: When I think about customizing (anything), I think of Burger King "Have It Your Way" campaign. After 10 minutes of Google research, however, I learn two critically important things: BK retired that slogan in 2014, in… (Show more)
in News at Macmillan Learning
Alex Tabarrok
Wondering what you should get your friends and family for Christmas this year? Listen in to find out what an economist would do about Christmas gifts. Don’t forget to have your students watch this!
Video preview image▶︎
in The Economics Community
Sue Frantz
I never used to cover sleep, but once it became clear that so many students weren’t getting enough sleep, I started talking about it – at length. I had the same experience with stress. The stress and coping chapter was one I typically skipped in Intro, until I opened my eyes to the stress my students were feeling combined with the lack of good… (Show more)
David Myers
All good things must come to an end, and few things have been as good as my colleague Tom Ludwig’s 40-year career, which culminates with his Hope College retirement this Spring.   Not only is Tom a superb teacher and a kind and helpful colleague/friend, he is also a self-taught creator of multiple digital resources for the teaching of… (Show more)
Sonya Tiratsuyan
The human dimension of economics: Using cost-benefit analysis to promote empathy and help our students be better people. Cost-benefit analysis, if taken seriously and applied thoughtfully, can help build empathy, one of the most important life skills our students can develop. By emphasizing the human dimension of cost-benefit analysis, not only…
Video preview image▶︎
Sonya Tiratsuyan
Recent improvements in technology are beginning to erode the usefulness of textbooks to students. In addition to written content, multimedia content is much more readily available through other sources that are not only more cost effective, but sometimes better in quality. Therefore, it merits instructors to debate whether we should continue to…
Video preview image▶︎
Sonya Tiratsuyan
What is TBL and why is it emerging as a proven model for improving student success? Solina Lindahl will discuss her experience using the TBL model in her recent principles courses; why it works, how it addresses engagement issues and the why it isn't as hard to make the switch as you might fear.
Video preview image▶︎
Sonya Tiratsuyan
This talk will discuss how principles courses can be adapted to teach economics the way that economics is done in practice. In particular, Krueger will discuss how behavioral economics, quantitative data analysis, and lessons from the financial crisis can be incorporated into the standard principles course to challenge students, enhance their…
Video preview image▶︎
Sonya Tiratsuyan
Economics departments are struggling to succeed in attracting a diverse group of students relative to other fields. Women are 56 percent of undergraduate student, yet only a third of economics majors. Hispanic students make up 17 percent of undergraduate students, yet only 9 percent of economics majors. And 14 percent of college students are…
Video preview image▶︎
Sonya Tiratsuyan
Most consumers have heard of fair-trade coffee, but have no idea how fair-trade actually works. This talk covers the basics of the fair-trade model, and explores whether fair trade can deliver on its promises to help the poor. Fair trade can also be used to vividly illustrate many key concepts in a principles of micro class, such as price…
Video preview image▶︎
Sonya Tiratsuyan
Online homework systems are an important part of economics courses but it can be difficult to figure out which one to use and how to implement it. I was crazy enough to try out four of them in three years and I will give you the dirt (and the good stuff) on each system.
Video preview image▶︎
Load more items