Heather Halter

How can video help you?

Discussion created by Heather Halter Employee on Oct 13, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 by Becky Anderson

As a former public speaking instructor, I found video to be invaluable in my course. A way to share sample speeches, a way for students to upload a recording of their own speech. What made these videos more impactful was the ability to add time based comments and use a built in rubric to grade the video; a feature that is found in Macmillan's LaunchPad products.

As I started to pick up adjunct sections in other courses, such as my school’s College Success program, I began to ponder the impact video could have on other courses outside of Communication. I imagined my students recording video diaries of their experiences, and their classmates adding comments to extend the conversation. In Composition, I could read a text aloud and ask my students to respond to questions that I ask throughout.

Now that I work at Macmillan, I get to work one-on-one with instructors to help them implement these tools into their own courses, and the possibilities seem endless. I would love to hear the ideas you have for using Video in your own ways!

Outcomes