Ronald Comer will discuss the various changes that will accompany the publication of DSM-5 next month, including:
• disorders with new names (e.g., "neurocognitive disorders")
• disorders that are new (e.g., "binge eating disorder")
• new diagnostic criteria
• combining several disorders into a single disorder (e.g., "autism spectrum disorder")
• expanding the boundaries of "addiction" and certain other terms
• disorders being considered for possible inclusion in a later DSM-5 revision (e.g., "nonsuicidal self-injury")
Professor Comer will also discuss the leading controversies surrounding the DSM-5 changes and their possible impact on treatment and public perception.