What do you wish you had been taught in grad school (but were not)?

Video created by Elizabeth Uva Employee on Oct 23, 2015

Powell: In graduate school I wish they'd taught me the kind of writing that I do every day as a faculty member: student recommendation letters, faculty reports, program reports.

Reynolds: I wish I was taught more about the kinds of writing I would actually do as a writing teacher and as a professional.

Huot: About the more practical parts of running a writing program or editing a journal.

Condon: You know, this is going to sound really strange, but I wish I was taught statistics.

Sanchez: Not so much how to do empirical research, but maybe that it had been presented to me in its full complexity.

Ball: In grad school, I wish I'd taken more classes on methodology.  They were available, and I just didn't do it.

Sommers: I wish I could have been taught how to do research.

Schilb: A whole language or vocabulary for analyzing non-fiction.

Bizzell: In grad school, I wish I been taught that there was a field of composition and rhetoric.

Lindemann: In grad school I wish I had been taught rhetoric.  It's the basis for my teaching, it's the basis for my work as a faculty member, and it's the basis for any public discourse that I also write.

Rose: When I went to graduate school we didn't have programs in pedagogy.

Glenn: In grad school, I wish I was taught that people I was going to graduate school with would become my lifelong friends.

Lunsford: Patience.

Palmquist: In grad school, I wish I was taught to slow down and enjoy things a bit more.

Adler-Kassner: To be more comfortable not knowing things.

Tinberg: I think it's one of the ironies that in graduate school in English that how we read was never made an explicit part of the instruction.  It was always assumed that we would be critical readers, but it was... we were told to go home and come back with a smart response.  But class time was not necessarily taken up with how we actually respond to a text, and I've learned that since in composition and rhetoric, but it's seems somewhat ironic that I had not learned, I guess you could say, how to read in graduate school in English.