What's next for writing teachers?

Video created by Elizabeth Uva Employee on Oct 23, 2015

Ball: It seems pretty obvious to me that in the next couple of years, writing teachers are going to have start paying more attention to technology in their writing classes.

Reynolds: New media, visual rhetoric, technology, much more than we're already doing.

Tinberg: Visual literacy.

Huot: Understand and use new media in their classrooms.

Sanchez: Think more broadly about what constitutes writing.

Schilb: I think writing teachers need to understand what the value of print or alphabetic literacy can be in a world that's increasingly going to be emphasizing visual literacy, electronic literacy, auditory literacy.  All of us who teach writing are facing the challenge of incorporating new technologies into our work, but I don't think the printed word, the alphabetic word, is going to go away.  And so I think what we're going to have to do is rather than discard that completely and just teach how to produce pictures and how to understand pictures, we're going to have to develop a much finer, nuanced appreciation and be able to convey that to our students of what does it mean to communicate in words?  What's the value of that, particular vis-a-vis other possible ways of communicating including visual images?

Lindemann: To become advocates for what they do to the publics that we serve.  We need to interpret our work better to the stakeholders: parents, students, administrators, tax payers, and legislators.

Condon: In the next few years, writing teachers will need to begin to play an even broader role in terms of institutional assessment.

Rose: The country for some time has been in the grip of various kinds of local and statewide and now federally mandated testing throughout K-12, and it has changed the nature of schooling.

Adler-Kassner: Writing teachers will need to begin to think very carefully about the ways our work extends beyond the classroom, into contexts, into realms of public policy, into education policy, into the ways that writing and writers are represented, and need to work with that inside and outside of the classroom.

Powell: I see writing teachers needing to sort of pay more attention to global issues.

Glenn: In the next few years, writing teachers will need to become much more aware of language diversity, of a multiple range of Englishes, and a multiple range of English dialects.